Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I Said Goodbye to a Dear Friend Saturday Night


Last Saturday was an emotional evening for me.  I said goodbye to a dear friend, a friend who walked closely with me throughout the end of high school, all through college, was with me at my wedding, moved with me to Florida, moved back to Michigan with me, and was even there with me on the night Mary gave birth to our baby girls.  

I said goodbye to a friend whom I have shared my greatest victories and triumphs with, who has comforted me at my low points, and who has struggled with me when I have doubted and had tough questions with no answers.

Last Saturday night I said goodbye to the David Crowder Band at the Orbit Room in Grand Rapids.  The DCB has undoubtedly been the most important band in my life and I was one of many who felt wounded a few months ago when they announced they would be done as of next year.  

Much ink has been spilled on how the DCB has revolutionized worship music with their unique sound, look, and energy.  There is nothing I can say about that stuff that hasn't already been said much more fully than I am capable of.

However, I want to share the answer to the questions we ask when we lose or say goodbye to anyone we love:  What did I appreciate most about the DCB? And where do I go from here?

As I have reflected on what drew me to the DCB, more than music or sound what I appreciated about them as a band is that in a time where much Christian music is very shallow, self focused, and shy's away from difficult issues, Crowder embraced and examined the valleys and the dark areas we enter in our faith.  Doubt, frustration, fear, and even depression were laid out in their music and were not hidden from their listeners.  the DCB understood that the Christian life is not only mountain top experiences and rose pedals but that pain, suffering, and loneliness are real and our only hope in life's valleys is the message of the gospel.  That message and the transparency of the DCB is what drew me to them and it will be my lasting impression of them, and for that I am thankful.

So what's next?

I found it interesting that the DCB chose to tour with both Gungor and Chris August.  Both bands, specifically Gungor in many ways will have to carry weight of taking the torch from DCB.  Both bands were great and it was encouraging that there are new artists who are making beautiful, thoughtful, and inventive worship music.  Christian music needs bands like these that will push boundaries.

So while it was hard to say goodbye Saturday night, there is hope for the future, already excited to see Gungor play at Calvin College this spring!

2 comments: