Monday, April 26, 2010

Full Circle - Moving Back to West Michigan!



What?

Yes, it is true, my wife and I (and our puppy) will be moving back across the country once again this summer as we come home back to West Michigan. I have accepted a Pastoral position at a new Harvest Bible Chapel church plant in West Michigan that Lord willing will be launching this fall.

The past 2 years serving at HBC Orlando has been an absolute joy for both Mary and myself, we have loved our church, our students, and having this adventure out on our own. We will definitely miss many parts about Orlando and are so excited to see how God is going to use HBC Orlando for His glory in the future.

That being said, we are so excited to be moving back home and serving at the next place the Lord is leading us (hopefully for a long long time!)

When?

The tentative plan right now is that our car will be packed and we will be on the road early Monday morning, May 24th. My last official Sunday as a staff member at HBC Orlando is May 16th, we will take the next week to finish packing and making sure everything is all set and ready to go, and after a goodbye lunch on the 23rd with our church family we will be all set and ready to go.

Why?

There are a ton of different reasons that I could give but the major reason is that both Mary and I feel that God is strongly behind this and that He is the one moving us. Here is a few reasons that we feel this is the case:

1. The staff that is assembled: I am so excited that my dad is pursuing God's call on his life to pursue role of teaching pastor. He is one of the most gifted communicators of God's Word that I know, and I am confident that God is going to use him in great ways. Also, my dad has had more influence than anyone else on me and I feel that working under him will be a smooth transition and that this is the best place for me to grow as a pastor and as a person

Chris Mulford, my brother in law, is coming up shortly after us along with his wife Carolyn to be our Worship Pastor. I count myself lucky to call Chris one of my best friends, his love for Jesus is infectious and both encouraging and challenging to me. He is an extremely talented worship leader and musician and I believe he has both the talent and love for Jesus that God will use him to transform lives in West Michigan! Chris is the full package, and I am so pumped to work closely with him for the same purposes! I really believe he will inject a spirit of Worship into our church that Western Michigan desperately needs!

2. My heart is burdened for West Michigan: West Michigan is one of the most churched places in America and also one of the most spiritually dead places in America. People ask "Why plant another church there?" and the answer is because that place DESPERATELY needs Jesus Christ! I have seen it in both the public and Christian schools, people dont know who Jesus is and don't have a saving faith in Jesus but think they have it all because they go to church. The study of God's Word is not encouraged and people are lost. This is my home and my heart has always been burdened for West Michigan, and I feel strongly that this is where the Lord is leading me! Enough said!

3. My Pastoral Position: Like at HBC Orlando I will be overseeing the youth ministry initially. I have loved working with Jr. High and High School students in Orlando and am so glad I will continue to do that on some level. But on top of that I will oversee the Adult Ministries, Discipleship, and have the opportunity to grow in my preaching of God's Word. In all of these areas I need to continue to grow but I have such a great passion for both preaching God's Word and discipleship, seeing people grow in their walks with the Lord. I am so blessed to be able to serve God in this way and I am excited to see God grow me in these areas!

4. Mary's Role: Mary just graduated with a degree in Children's Ministry this spring from FCC and it is so cool to see the Lord open up a place for her to use what she has learned immediately. Mary is happiest when she is serving in children's ministry and every time we plan for it or talk about it her eyes light up and it is such a cool confirmation of what the Lord is doing in her life.

5. Being Back With Family: Both Mary and I cherish our relationships with our family and have missed seeing them over the past 2 years. We are so excited to be able to lean on them and grow those relationships even deeper in the future! Such a blessing!

Prayer Requests

1. That God would continue the work in the students we are leaving in Orlando.
2. That our house would sell quickly.
3. Safety in travel.
4. That God would continue to grow and bless HBC Orlando.
5. That God would stir in the hearts of people even now to join our new Church and be a part of what God is doing!
6. Protection against opposition that has and will come!
7. For Zoning on our building to be approved.
8. That God would provide older men to mentor me and help grow me.
9. That this next chapter in our lives would be one of fruitful service to the Lord!


cal

9 comments:

  1. Cool! You're coming back :) Bittersweet I'm sure. Praying for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Dane! it is a bit bittersweet...but more sweet than bitter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cal,
    Paul and I are praying for you and Mary and your specific requests. Actually, we're praying for all of us! Excited to see what the Lord has planned for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mulford? What nationality is this Mulford guy?

    Can't wait to have you back in the north - it hasn't been the same with you two gone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so excited that we will get to be part of this with you both. It has been ajoy following your blog that last few onths and getting a glimpse of how you have grown into a very godly pastor. can't wait to serve with you in this plant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Crystal and Tarnows, we are so excited to get to Michigan and kick things into gear, we have quite a bit to catch up on!

    BTW Mulford is part German part Titan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its amazing to watch the path that God leads us on. I will be praying for this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On Behalf of Chris Mulford. I'm pumped that yall will be coming back up north. And yes, i'll teach you my skilled ways of the blogging design world.
    Correction to the above statments: My nationality is German, Titan, ANNND Nephilim. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats not something I would brag about Chris!

    ReplyDelete